Heirlooms & Comforts is Turning 25!
Those who have taken fat quarters to make a 25th Anniversary Challenge Quilt should remember to bring us your entry. We set the deadline for December 25, but will take the entries until end of the day on December 28. Judging will take place soon thereafter with winners announced on January 25, 2010. We need to hang the entries for Viewers' Choice voting during the early part of January. Thanks to all who are participating.
Twenty-five and Counting
Heirlooms and Comforts is 25 years old. Do you know Betty Bauer? She was present when the idea for this shop blossomed. When you see her ask how we found the first location; it’s a favorite story of mine. Do you know Marge Edie? She was the first contest winner at H&C. As a novice she designed a wall quilt using our contest fabric (from a Jinny Beyer collection) and it was the winner. Now as a pro she is a published designer. We’ve come a long way, Baby. Do you know Judy Luke? She bought a basic Classica 100 Husqvarna Viking sewing machine all those many years ago. Then she bought a computerized Husqvarna Viking Sew Easy machine. Then she bought a Husqvarna Viking Sapphire with the Exclusive Sensor System and extended sewing arm. Moving on up is the idea!! Do you know Cheryl Keith? She came in years ago just to get an updated machine since she had retired and was ready for a hobby. Look at her now—top-of-the-line Diamond user, Husqvarna Viking 4-D Software Professional user-teacher making strides having even taught other dealers how-to do her Sashiko by Machine. It continues to be a great run! There are many, many more stories about our friends who came to look around and have continued to be our friends. Do you have a story or a photo of your experience with the shop and the staff? Share it with us over the next few months as we celebrate.
Now here we are announcing our 25year Celebration quilt contest rules. You could be the winner of a big bucks Gift Certificates. So, read on.
25th Anniversary Quilt Contest
Rules for entry in the Anniversary Quilt Contest are as follows:
- The quilt can be any shape or size as long as the perimeter measures a total of at least 50” and not more than 200” in total. It can also be a garment or home décor item as long as the size is within the measurement guidelines stated here.
- The quilt can be either pieced or appliquéd or a combination of both. It can be machine done or hand sewn or a combination of both techniques.
- The quilt must contain at least one fat quarter provided by Heirlooms and Comforts. Other fabrics are the choice of and provided by the quiltmaker and should be of quality goods preferably from the stock at Heirlooms and Comforts. The qualifying fat quarter should be easily recognized in the quilt with a swatch of it included with the label.
- The quilt must be totally complete and with an identifying label from the quiltmaker.
- If more than one person works on the quilt, it should be noted on the label. “Group” quilts (such as put together by one quilter and quilted by another, or pieced by one and appliqué done by another) will be judged in a separate category.
- The top prize will be a $250 Gift Certificate to Heirlooms and Comforts. There will be several $50 Gift Certificates awarded to honorable mention winners, the number of them being determined by the volume of entries in the contest.
- The quilt must have been constructed completely between September 25, 2009 and December 25, 2009.
- Contestants can come in to the shop to pick up the fat quarter and fill out an entry form any time beginning September 25, 2009.
- Entries should be turned in before December 25, 2009.
- Winners will be announced on January 25, 2010, at a reception at Heirlooms & Comforts.
- Entries will be hung at Heirlooms and Comforts and votes will be taken for a Viewers Choice Award, also to be announced at the January 25 gathering.
- Prize for Viewers Choice will be a $125 Gift Certificate to Heirlooms and Comforts.